Android Port Work in Progress

The port is not good enough for a blog post yet but should be worth a forum post ;):
We are currently working on an Android Port for the EasyRPG Player.

For further information see the github issue.

We search you!
Nobody of us has knowledge about Android. Would be nice if an Android developer is around who can design a simple user interface for the Player. At least a directory selector where you can select which game shall run would be nice. And the Aspect Ratio of the Player is completly wrong, any idea how to fix this?

Latest progress:

Because nobody cared I invested my time now to start working on a port.
It was actually quite easy to achive this with SDL2. Only needed one evening to get this to compile.
Ran this using that awful, slow Google Android Emulator because I don’t have a real device.

A game selector is displayed on startup.

Not finished yet has some critical bugs (e.g. black screen after resuming the App) and have to find a proper position and size for the virtual buttons. My mother has an Android device, will use that one to find the optimal position for the buttons later ;).

I would love to have this in my xperia play, were can I download it? Did you created a branch for the new code?

What do I need to compile it?

I want to check if it works on my xperia, and what is the frame rate?

Can we use high resolutions ?

Has some annoying problems I’m currently trying to fix. Using a real device at the moment for testing. Qualcomm MSM8255T Snapdragon @ 1,4 Ghz CPU. Well without screen effects 60 FPS are possible in many cases. Not really happy with the speed but I expected worse ;).

I provide a repository with the libraries needed when the port is finished.

Please, create the repository even if the port needs some fixes, we could help you.

I will create the repository with thw libs in a few hours.

Ok I will check, please let us know.

Repository: https://github.com/Ghabry/easyrpg-player/tree/android

Dependencies: https://github.com/Ghabry/easyrpg-android-libs

Dependencies are currently uploading. When you see files the upload is done ;).

I assume that you know how to setup the Android SDK.
You basicly need https://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html the SDK and the NDK https://developer.android.com/tools/sdk/ndk/index.html

Follow the README in the dependency repo. Then:
Navigate into [my-repo]/builds/android and invoke ndk-build… wait a while.
Start Eclipse (included with SDK)
Window -> Android SDK manager -> Install Android 2.3.3 (Api 10) SDK
File -> New -> Project… -> Existing Android project. Navigate to [my-repo]/builds/android and follow the wizard.
Project -> Build automatically -> Disable that option
Project -> Clean…
Project -> Build all
Project -> Run
Player should execute on your phone now.

Fix for broken audio is pending. Will commit that tomorrow when I feel less sad how ugly that is.

Seems that some dependendencies are not meet

Android NDK: WARNING:jni/src/Android.mk:main: non-system libraries in linker fla gs: -lfreetype2-static -lpixman -lpng -lcpufeatures Android NDK: This is likely to result in incorrect builds. Try using LOCAL_S TATIC_LIBRARIES Android NDK: or LOCAL_SHARED_LIBRARIES instead to list the library dependenc ies of the Android NDK: current module Android NDK: WARNING: Unsupported source file extensions in jni/src/Android.mk f or module main Android NDK: \ [armeabi-v7a] Install : libSDL2.so => libs/armeabi-v7a/libSDL2.so [armeabi-v7a] Install : libSDL2_mixer.so => libs/armeabi-v7a/libSDL2_mixe r.so [armeabi-v7a] Install : libiconv.so => libs/armeabi-v7a/libiconv.so [armeabi-v7a] Compile++ thumb: main <= background.cpp jni/src/../../../../src/background.cpp:20:18: fatal error: data.h: No such file or directory compilation terminated. make.exe: *** [obj/local/armeabi-v7a/objs/main/__/__/__/__/src/background.o] Err or 1

All the other stesp worked exept for this one “Navigate into [my-repo]/builds/android and invoke ndk-build… wait a while.”

The same operation on the libs for android worked, so there must be an step missing

[quote=“lobomon”]Seems that some dependendencies are not meet
The same operation on the libs for android worked, so there must be an step missing[/quote]

You have to checkout libreaders, like you do for the Windows build. Forgot to mention that I patched that one, too. Sorry :slight_smile:

https://github.com/Ghabry/easyrpg-readers/tree/android

Into lib/readers of the Player directory.

After those changes I was able to compile it.There for I can confirm that the port works, and also I can provide a working APK.

I was able to use the generated APK on my xperia play and get a game working, however the music player seems to require some external aditional files, but even so the work is impresive =).

Some games on the android market that have the RM2k specs are actually sell and we have our own for free

Uncompress this folder into sdcard:/easyrpg/

libsdl.org/projects/SDL_mixe … ity.tar.gz

If any one else want to give it a try here is the APK

2shared.com/fadmin/55342576/ … G.apk.html

for 2.3 or up android devices.

Delapeople adding those files provides support to music, the port is playable, we just need a well implemented save and we could play games on the player on portable divices.

Important
We uploaded an outdated apk.

The download links in the blogpost were outdated. Please redownload!!!

Hi guys, I really appreciate the work you are doing. :slight_smile:
Can you please tell me how well is the Android port going so far?
I am really looking forward to this and I am even willing to test. Please let me know.

[quote=“lulzintosh”]Hi guys, I really appreciate the work you are doing. :slight_smile:
I am really looking forward to this and I am even willing to test. Please let me know.[/quote]

The Android port is already released. You can find it in our download section.
At the moment I recommend using the “continious build” at the bottom, is more up to date.

There are still lots of bugs and the battle system is not working. (this is the general progress of the player, not android related)

[quote=“Ghabry”][quote=“lulzintosh”]Hi guys, I really appreciate the work you are doing. :slight_smile:
I am really looking forward to this and I am even willing to test. Please let me know.[/quote]

The Android port is already released. You can find it in our download section.
At the moment I recommend using the “continious build” at the bottom, is more up to date.

There are still lots of bugs and the battle system is not working. (this is the general progress of the player, not android related)[/quote]

Thank you for your amazing work. It was exactly what I needed.
I really really appreciate your hard work.

Tested yume nikki and looking great. Levels are not looping from x or y edges and “wake up” button would be nice still music,sounds + fps 60 very cool keep up the good work :smiley:

Hello
I’ve tried the Android version and I really like it, you guys make great work.
I’ve tried only one hungarian game called Amnézia (moondragon.hu/index.php?a=2) It is working fine, except one big problem: the monsters won’t disappear after battle.