Working on a 3DS Port

Changing the internal resolution is not supported. This involves adjusting all hardcoded values all over the code. So it’s not possible currently and a huge amount of work.

Mmhhh ok, in the meantime i added a fullscreen option with R trigger if someone prefer stretched image but 400x240 instead of original 320x240 resolution but i found a problem.
Don’t know what caused this but now, at least with csnd wrapper, sounds are not working (only BGM) on Yume Nikki. (Debug console says files are correctly loaded so :/).
On test game sounds are working fine.

btw one significant issue that could be resolved is:
RPG Maker 2003 supports key input via the numeric keypad.
So this needs a way to press the stuff on the right side of your keyboard:
0-9, /, *, +, -, .
Maybe you can render some touch UI on the bottom screen which sets these keystates?

[quote=“Ghabry”]btw one significant issue that could be resolved is:
RPG Maker 2003 supports key input via the numeric keypad.
So this needs a way to press the stuff on the right side of your keyboard:
0-9, /, *, +, -, .
Maybe you can render some touch UI on the bottom screen which sets these keystates?[/quote]

Are those values needed for some games? Anyway yes, it could be done.

Yes, Yume Nikki needs at least 3 of them. One for waking up (8 or 5 iirc). Can’t remember which.

github.com/Rinnegatamante/easyr … 3dc7ef77e7

Not tested yet but it should work fine.
I’m going to release a new test build for that purpose.

EDIT: rinnegatamante.it/board/showthread.php?tid=37

Legends of Zelda Link’s Awakening seems to use one of those keys for items when you type the player name.

I will test this right now.

EDIT : I tested on emunand 10.7 and it seems to work fine. When I press 1 it shows inventory and 2 it shows the pause menu.
And thanks for fullscreen it’s a lot more enjoyable.

Wow you implemented this fast :open_mouth:

Crashes for me with “Debug console started”. I use menuhax on Firmware 10.3 (no custom firmware shit, this is not gbatemp) :frowning:

And make sure to integrate all 15 commits of github.com/EasyRPG/Player/pull/855
I added some further changes/bugfixes yesterday. :slight_smile:

[quote=“Ghabry”]Wow you implemented this fast :open_mouth:

Crashes for me with “Debug console started”. I use menuhax on Firmware 10.3 (no custom firmware shit, this is not gbatemp) :frowning:

And make sure to integrate all 15 commits of github.com/EasyRPG/Player/pull/855
I added some further changes/bugfixes yesterday. :)[/quote]

That crash is pretty strange :confused:
Are you using latest test build i published or a personal re-compilation of the repository?

No, I used your version for this test.

Usually I use a personal recompilation because I had to test the speed improvments but was too lazy this time ;). But the personal compilation is without khax anyway, disabled that line.

Have you downloaded also the updated 3dsx in attachment?

EDIT: Got some error during compilation when integrating all the new rendering optimizations:

arm-none-eabi-g++ -MMD -MP -MF /c/Users/Alessio/Desktop/Repositories/easyrpg-player-3ds/build/bitmap.d -g -Wall -O2 -mword-relocations -fomit-frame-pointer -ffast-math -march=armv6k -mtune=mpcore -mfloat-abi=hard -I/c/Users/Alessio/Desktop/Repositories/easyrpg-player-3ds/src -I/c/Users/Alessio/Desktop/Repositories/easyrpg-player-3ds/lib -I/c/Users/Alessio/Desktop/Repositories/easyrpg-player-3ds/lib/shinonome -I/c/Users/Alessio/Desktop/Repositories/easyrpg-player-3ds/include -I/c/Users/Alessio/Desktop/Repositories/easyrpg-player-3ds/build -I/c/Users/Alessio/Desktop/Repositories/easyrpg-player-3ds/lib/include/pixman-1 -I/c/Users/Alessio/Desktop/Repositories/easyrpg-player-3ds/lib/include/freetype2 -I/c/Users/Alessio/Desktop/Repositories/easyrpg-player-3ds/lib/include/liblcf -DARM11 -D_3DS -D PIXMAN_NO_TLS -DSUPPORT_AUDIO -DUSE_CACHE -fno-rtti -fno-exceptions -std=gnu++11 -c /c/Users/Alessio/Desktop/Repositories/easyrpg-player-3ds/src/bitmap.cpp -o bitmap.o c:/Users/Alessio/Desktop/Repositories/easyrpg-player-3ds/src/bitmap.cpp: In member function 'void Bitmap::Flip(const Rect&, bool, bool)': c:/Users/Alessio/Desktop/Repositories/easyrpg-player-3ds/src/bitmap.cpp:1098:27: error: 'src' was not declared in this scope

Yeah I took the wrong file, my fault. But your build really works better then mine. My build crashes when returning to the homebrew launcher.

The audio works fine and wakeup (9) works, too. Maybe would be nice when the numpad is black and the font is some light gray so it’s less bright. But code wise it works, great.

Yume Nikki is also an interesting challenge performance wise: Every time you walk it Plays a foot step Sound. This results in significant lag (10 FPS lost) and the character “jumps” from tile to tile because it has no time to render the frames.

EDIT:
About Flip take a look here: github.com/EasyRPG/Player/blob/ … .cpp#L1090
It doesn’t use a “src” arg at all. So maybe some copy-paste error on your side?

Btw you can delete the “AddBackground” overload in CtrUi now. The graphics code handles this now for the default case in a smart way (not called at all on the map, only while in the menus)

Yeah, i got an error copy-pasting. About the AddBackground overload, maybe i’m just a bit blind but it seems i cannot find it in both 3ds_ui.cpp and 3ds_ui.h :stuck_out_tongue:

As for Yume Nikki, N3DS can handle it without any problem (This video was posted on GBAtemp by a tester with a pretty old test build: youtube.com/watch?v=g6Lbr3p3JwQ ). What’s strange is that big performance loss since with sound cache it should work fine. Maybe some logic passage in sound cache is broken (?).

As for the keyboard, i opened an issue if someone good with photoshop wants to improve it: github.com/Rinnegatamante/easyr … /issues/15

okay then it’s probably in BaseUi. Change the FastFill (or FillFast not sure) call back to Fill. FastFill is not needed anymore. Ignore this comment if you already did this havn’t checked your code :D.
Yeah I have no idea why it lags so heavy, must be a caching problem oO. This video really looks fine, hm.

[quote=“Ghabry”]okay then it’s probably in BaseUi. Change the FastFill (or FillFast not sure) call back to Fill. FastFill is not needed anymore. Ignore this comment if you already did this havn’t checked your code :D.
Yeah I have no idea why it lags so heavy, must be a caching problem oO. This video really looks fine, hm.[/quote]

As i said before, probably cause i don’t have Chinese (or whatever characters support is needed) chars support on my Win7 installation, i’m not able to reproduce sounds on Yume Nikki.
If you can help me figuring out how to fix this, i can investigate a bit more on sound performances issue.

[quote=“Rinnegatamante”][quote=“Ghabry”]okay then it’s probably in BaseUi. Change the FastFill (or FillFast not sure) call back to Fill. FastFill is not needed anymore. Ignore this comment if you already did this havn’t checked your code :D.
Yeah I have no idea why it lags so heavy, must be a caching problem oO. This video really looks fine, hm.[/quote]

As i said before, probably cause i don’t have Chinese (or whatever characters support is needed) chars support on my Win7 installation, i’m not able to reproduce sounds on Yume Nikki.
If you can help me figuring out how to fix this, i can investigate a bit more on sound performances issue.[/quote]

Bump.

About that problem, i also tried to disable debug log and now at least on test game it’s quite smoother then before (waiting for support to test it also on Yume Nikki).

Sorry forgot to provide the link: yume nikki

Use EasyRPG because the filenames are japanese ^^

Hm, FileIO is sooooo slow on the 3DS -.-

[quote=“Ghabry”]Sorry forgot to provide the link: yume nikki

Use EasyRPG because the filenames are japanese ^^

Hm, FileIO is sooooo slow on the 3DS -.-[/quote]

What do you mean for “Use EasyRPG because the filenames are japanese”? I already have an original japanese version of Yume Nikki and got errors when loading Sounds as i stated before.

Well this is the japanese version I’m using on the 3DS and the sound works for me.
And I meant you can use the Windows version of EasyRPG to test it at the PC and hear the sounds.

I will also upload the european version now. Don’t wonder about the corrupted looking filenames, that’s perfectly normal.
Just takes 20min… love my inet

edit: sendspace.com/file/4fwz2m

Tried the japanese version (that has also english text for menus!?!) and still no sounds for me. FPS when walking drops from 46 to 27/28 apparently. Since i can’t get these sounds working, i can PM you the build and you can check when you have time if disabling debug console fixed the problem.