About the Official EasyRPG game

Hi, I’m filosofiamanga from the old forum.
I read the wiki and found that you wan’t to make an Easyrpg oficial game, I want to start a topic talking about that, and I thought I could be here with the RTP.

A reason that I stopped playing rpg maker games it’s that they’re not “profesional” in they’re stories, they’re just not soo good. And then I realized: why we can use the story from a classic book?, a story like Don Quijote, The Odyssey, The Divine comedy (Dante), 100 years of Solitude (100 años de soledad), war and peace (Tolstoi), The Lord of the rings, even Harry Potter?.

I think that using a book it’s way better and easier than trying to make a story half of good.

I would like to suggest the Odyssey by Humer, I guess everyone in the school has readen it, because it’s great and has all the elements like war, fight, enemies, mithology, etc.

Here it’s the book online. http://www.literaturepage.com/read/theodyssey.html

Welcome to the new forums :slight_smile:

The Odyssey can be a really good plot and setting for a RPG Maker game (Well, an EasyRPG game), it’s a nice idea.

There’s an old project about the first game of Easy rpg, the name was “Historias makeras”(maker tales). The idea was developed to make a story composed by some members with specific rules. I was one of these writers and still have the original text on html docs if it can helf. Hope help.
-It’s all right now-

suposing you want to use a book to inspirate in a game, remember the names and facts found in those books are copyrighted. obviusly we dont get any money for this, but yet we have to be sure not to use copirighted resource (souch as music, or images from movies).

PS: o haven’t readen Odyssey.

The Odyssey was written hundreds of years ago. The Copyright is a modern concept. About three hundred years ago, artists copied themselves without problems. Read the book “Free Culture” by Lawrence Lessig for more info (available in many languages).

i’have taken a look to that book and i dont like it.

I find more interesting some history that trascends the time and space. I mean, it would be nice to use all kind of chipsets, from mid-earth to futuristic, and a beach, desert, mountines, etc.

[quote=“Gazille”]suposing you want to use a book to inspirate in a game, remember the names and facts found in those books are copyrighted. obviusly we dont get any money for this, but yet we have to be sure not to use copirighted resource (souch as music, or images from movies).

PS: o haven’t readen Odyssey.[/quote]
Like Delapipol say it was written 2.000 years ago in the old Greece, the Copyright laws say that everyone can use a work of art (movies, books, pictures) after like 80 years the creator’s death (It becomes public domain).
Besides it can be a fangame that became a derivative work. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derivative_work so there’s not risk of becoming illegal if we show enough originallity in the game to not being just copy-paste.

I don’t know what books would you like to based upon the Easyrpg game?
I like the oddysey (Even we can use The Process of Kafka, Tom sayer, etc.) But here I don’t find how to make a poll.

Gazille, you say that you’d like to use some story that trascend, well, the literature has some work that the people has readen by centuries and still like it, and if you don’t think that that it’s to trascend, well, I don’t know what you mean.

well, if the project is going to have Open RTP http://easy-rpg.org/wiki/development/sample-game then the story must be set in a medieval time, because making tilesets is more complicated than making any other resource, and having done a Open version of the RTP with tiles corresponding of those of the RTP, it will not take too much time.

The characters used could be wathever, because making character sprites is easier than tiles, but they must remain in context with the setting. Of course the material (in RPG 2000) is not entirely medieval, it’s more like a mix of Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy (more the former than the latter). So any story in any of those two settings could be made.

Well that’s my 2 cents.

Historia Makeros was a good story, but had many authors that I don’t think it’s a good idea to use it.

well then how about a modern 1001 nights. A mom tells his sons a history every night. We can use some of the storyes like Alibaba and the 40 thives or Aladino and others short histories like Peter Pan. The main character can be always the same guy with diferent names (i mean you keep the same team and its lvls for battle) There’s lots of short histories known all above the world, i thing the best is to chose the most known so people enjoy them. i havent readen so many books i’m sure filosofiadelmanga will gime much more names that can be used to show people all the resources and capacity of ERPG.

[quote=“chaleeman”]well, if the project is going to have Open RTP http://easy-rpg.org/wiki/development/sample-game then the story must be set in a medieval time, because making tilesets is more complicated than making any other resource, and having done a Open version of the RTP with tiles corresponding of those of the RTP, it will not take too much time.
The characters used could be wathever, because making character sprites is easier than tiles, but they must remain in context with the setting. Of course the material (in RPG 2000) is not entirely medieval, it’s more like a mix of Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy (more the former than the latter). So any story in any of those two settings could be made.
Well that’s my 2 cents.
Historia Makeros was a good story, but had many authors that I don’t think it’s a good idea to use it.[/quote]

Well, if you want something medieval like Final Fantasy, I recomend you two famous books of spanish literature. One is the Poem of the Cid or the Lay of the Cid (http://omacl.org/Cid/) and the other one is Don Quixote (http://www.online-literature.com/cervantes/don_quixote/). I think they’re perfect because they’re were written in the Middle Age (medieval) and are about knights.

The 1001 nights seems good, but mixing too many histories for a simple sample game doesn’t seem really good. It would be better to stick with only one of the histories.

The Cid can be a nice history for the game (I remember the Cid campaign in Age of Empires 2 Conquerors), but Don Quixote… You can’t make battles with sacks of wine, or windmills…

Actually you can, remember that Don Quixote is mad and he thins that stuff are kind of live monsters created from its own madness.

youtube.com/watch?v=w4tFzD13hmc

By the other hand i always hated Don Quixote boot. It is just too dificult to read, i could never read over chapter 3 XD.

First, sorry for my english.
The Don Quijote book is a nice read, at least in spanish. I do not know about the english translation, but i always hate the translations made of the importants, and not to importants, books or stories.
I think that if you make a game about the Don Quijote adventures, you must made a funny game, with a lots of jokes and misunderstandings because of the madness of the principal character. You have two important characters, the Knight, Don Quijote, and the squire Sancho Panza.

If i can make my opinion about stories, i like the fiction stories of Julio Verne. Normally there are not a final boos, but you can play with the envriment (20000 leguas de viaje submarino, Viaje al centro de la tierra).

1001 nights is nice because you can make short games showing a specific part of the engine, but it is necessary choose some of the stories.

There are a lots of goods stories with no copyrights problems, olds, but goods stories.

Well everyone mentioned classics, I didn’t said anything, but no one has responded since then. However I haven’t read them in book format, and personally find them boring. And seeing that people trew ideas, but no one writes something about them, to get me interested, they don’t count as usable… if someone write a description resume, or something to be usable, then is fine by me, but now it seems lazy to say names but not wrting something.

For me is easier having something original, so I’m going to propose a story soon.

actually, we are suposed to give ideas, because the only scripter in the project is filosofiadelmanga. i think he’ll be the one making it.

Well, sorry if I came late, but I would like to make a poll to see which one you choose or to make something original.
I like the idea too of making something original.
If someone wants to make a story, I strongly recomend you to read at least this book, It’s called “Dramatic Writing” and it’s from Lajos Egri, actually it’s the best book about the playwriting on teather. I readed it, and it teaches all the elements of the drama and how to make excelent stories, it’s like to learn the ABC of the creative writing.
Here it’s it. https://docs.google.com/fileview?id=0B1AWX-3RIh0_ZGQ0Zjc1OTMtNTc3MC00OTFjLWFkY2YtNGNkYTI2ZDNhZWI4&hl=en

If you want another excelent book in chm format, it’s here https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B1AWX-3RIh0_NDQ1MmZmOTItZWY1Yy00YTlkLTg0MTAtY2JkNjZhNDNlZmMz&hl=en
It will give you insight another form of view the videogames, from a literarian perspective, making games that are equal to a good book or movie in terms of changing lives and giving emotions.
And finally you should read the “The Heroe with a thousand faces” of Joseph Campbell. Here it’s… https://docs.google.com/fileview?id=0B1AWX-3RIh0_Y2Y2MjA3M2QtNTVkYy00Y2E1LTkwNjMtNzdhYWJkMjkzZmM4&hl=en It talks about the journey of a hero, the same story structure that we saw in stories ranging from Final Fantasy, Dragon Ball, Naruto or even the Lord of the Rings, passing throught the Grim Brothers, mithologies, etc. It’s a great reading and it’s perfect for the RPGs.

With those three books you can make stories like Titanic, Forrest Gump, The Schindler list, the lord of the rings, not the traditional crap like Tales of Symphonia 2 or others medievals RPGs full of cliches.
At least if you want to write the EasyRPG read those three books.
If you want I can write a short tale (3-5 pag) about a girl that must find the “arco iris” that feed the flowers of her town.

Guy’s finally I have found it again, It’s a short science fiction tale called “All you zombies” of Robert A. Heinlen.
It’s a time travel tale where the character it’s his own mother and father, I suggest you that you must read it, it’s not long.
Here it’s in the wikipedia. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E2%80%94All_You_Zombies%E2%80%94

Well, here it’s it. (from wikipedia).
The story involves an intricate series of time-travel journeys. It begins with a young man speaking to the narrator, the Bartender, in 1970. The young man is called the Unmarried Mother, because he writes stories for confession magazines, many of them presumably from the point of view of an unmarried mother.
Cajoled by the Bartender, the Unmarried Mother explains why he understands the female viewpoint so well: he was born a girl, in 1945, and raised in an orphanage. While a fairly ugly teenager in 1963, he (that is, she) was seduced, impregnated, and abandoned by an older man. During the delivery of her child, doctors discovered she had an intersex condition: internally, she had both male and female sex organs. Complications during delivery forced them to give her a sex change. The baby was later kidnapped and not seen again. The now-former girl had to adjust to being a man and surviving as such, despite being unprepared for any job. As a girl he/she had preferred etiquette lessons, hoping to join an organization dedicated to providing “comfort and companionship” to astronauts, known at various times by the elaborate acronyms “W.E.N.C.H.E.S” (Women’s Emergency National Corps, Hospitality & Entertainment Section), “A.N.G.E.L.S.” (Auxiliary Nursing Group, Extraterrestrial Legions), and the Women’s Hospitality Order Refortifying & Encouraging Spacemen (the only name without its acronym spelled out in the story, “W.H.O.R.E.S”). Handicapped by the physical aftereffects of childbirth, he used his secretarial skills to type manuscripts, and eventually began writing.
Professing sympathy, the Bartender offers to top his story. He guides him into a back room, and casts a net over the two of them. This is part of a time machine. The young man is set loose in 1963 where he dates, falls for, seduces, impregnates, and leaves a young girl; at the same time the Bartender goes forward nine months, kidnaps a baby and takes it to an orphanage in 1945. He then returns to 1963, and picks up the Unmarried Mother, who is just beginning to realize what has happened. As the Bartender tells him, "Now you know who he is—and after you think it over you’ll know who you are . . . and if you think hard enough, you’ll figure out who the baby is . . . and who I am."
The Bartender then drops the Unmarried Mother—his younger self—at an outpost of the Temporal Bureau, a time-traveling secret police force that changes events in history to protect the human race. He has just recruited himself.
Finally the Bartender returns to 1970, arriving a short time after he left the bar. He yells at a customer playing “I’m My Own Grandpa” on the jukebox. Closing the bar he time-travels again to his home base. As he beds down for a much-deserved rest, he contemplates the scar left over from the Caesarean section performed when he gave birth to his daughter, father, mother and entire history. He thinks “I know where I came from—but where did all you zombies come from?”.

What the hell! That’s an story!!! I don’t know who are those zombies, maybe they’re the others (the “you” people). Anyway, there are a lot of interesting possibilities in the making of the “official EasyRPG sample game”, but maybe we are going a little… away? I mean, yeah, surely making a Quixote (not Doflamingo of course, pardon my reference) is good, as Quixote is cool (for me at least :D). But maybe is better think not about a long story, instead we probably make a short scene or maybe an alternate version of (following the example) how Quixote defeated the windmills and they were really the martian spaceforces disguised as windmills and beerbags (xD?) and stuff <IT’S AN EXAMPLE>.

We could use some references, but not limit ourselves to what’s written, right?
Orochii Zouveleki

I’m making my lasts posts in here.

The time travel filosofiadelmanga talked about made me remember a really old game: “Where in Time is Carmen Sandiego?” It’s the second part of “Where in world is Carmen Sandiego”

Carmen Sandiego’s Wiki page

I dont know the lisence used by the creators on characters, but even so, we oculd change the name.

The main idea is a time travelling detective who gaters hints of the steps that a criminal gives and follow him across time-space. That give us a lot of oportunities to use diferent kind of chipsets and resources. sadly i think all enemies would be thiefs, but i dont think that would be so important.

following the criminal’s steps you find diferent hints of who he/she is, just like male/female, hair color, tatoo, etc. once you have enought information you can make an arrest order to that criminal. if you reach to the criminal location before the time’s up there’s a final match (in old gme it was just an sprite displaying, we can make a boss figth or even a mini game, making the player gather stuff in the travel to fight the last battle) but if you didn’t have an arrest order or if it was given to someone else, the criminal sneaks out and you lose.

Well that’s how the detective finds the criminals. Every player has a profile, witch records success arrests, failure investigations, etc.
Those detectives reach the hall of fame once they make an important amount of arrests.

Sadly i never caught Carmen Sandiego -.- i dont even know if it’s posible >< i really wanted to >_>

Well that’s what i propose, i has some “freacky” coincidences with the book filosofiadelmanga showed us. And it’s nice, because from start the places the player travel to its all random and makes it diferent every time you play. (at least at first, until you memorize all places and hints :P)