Can´t Play BGM on WII

Hello

I´m from Germany. I apologize in advance for my bad english.
I use the Easy RPG 0.4 Rev 75. I have read the matter with timidity. I install that on
app/easyrpg-player/timidity
/data/timidity/
app/easyrpg-player/ect

and

root/ect

When i play a Game, i cant hear the BGM, but i see a error message on the screen: "cant found /ect/timidity file or directory…"
I dont know wheres the Problem.

please Help

Hi, thanks for the bug report. At least there is one Wii user here! :smiley:
I think we had this error before and needed to patch the SDL_mixer library to look for the timidity config somewhere else.
I have fiddled with the toolchain some time ago and maybe forgot to add the patch back then. I will investigate and report back in a bit.

Wii users are low ? I enjoy spending a bug report , because I love the player . Finally RPG Maker games on the Wii . I’ve been waiting soo long .

PS : I can make screenshots

Can you test midi playback with this build? easy-rpg.org/jenkins/view/Playe … pg_wii.zip
Please put your timidity stuff under /data/timidity/ on the SD card. Thanks!

[quote=“carstene1ns”]Can you test midi playback with this build? easy-rpg.org/jenkins/view/Playe … pg_wii.zip
Please put your timidity stuff under /data/timidity/ on the SD card. Thanks![/quote]

Oh i forgot, the timidity was in /data/timidity to, but with your new Version it works.
Thats a fast bug fix :slight_smile: thanks a lot

i hear a few sound crashes. When you like, i can make a video tomorrow!?

Cool.A video would be nice :slight_smile:

How is the framerate?
Can you confirm that the game browser works?

Hi Folks

Info

• Wii with 32GB SD Class 10
  • Player Version 0.4 Rev 75

respectiv FPS:
Game: Unterwegs in Duesterburg

Pic 1 - It is a Map with small size, Rain effect and a couple of NPC walking around. I can see FPS 17?! Unfortunately, the FPS is cut in half. The picture Adjustment is not correct. I hope you can fix that :wink: i hope my TV is not to blame.
Pic 2 - It is a very tiny Indoor Map. With raineffect, only 2 NPC´s. The NPC´s stand still.

Totaly is the FPS on small Maps mostly over 30. On Maps with more Effects and NPC´s (going around) never over 20.
Next issue:

• Is it normal that Games need so many time to start?
  • Often you can see Debug messages on screen for a half second. Is that on purpose?

Here the Video

Dat: http://workupload.com/file/n11vYJTX
Watch: https://vid.me/GxYF

I hope i can help, to make the player on Wii better :slight_smile:

The slow performance ingame is easy to resolve but these super slow loading times.
Wow. Fixing this is lots of work.

Tested the build, it didn’t work here, I stil hear nothing (sorry for bringing up bad news).
Tried with Standstill Girl, Paranormal Syndrome 2 and The Gray Garden. In none of them the midi bgm played when it should

PS: the loading time depends on the amount of maps that the game has, am I right?

Nice to hear. i think slow loading times is not a problem, important is that Games run smoovie after loading.
Please for my understanding, is the loading Process a “map into Cache” process or conversion process?

• Can you fix the picture Adjustment, please? :smiley:

I can make another tests and reports, when you like :wink:

Due to a bug in our code we triggered a slow codepath which only slows down Wii (rendering in 16bit instead of 32bit is ultra slow in our code because it does lots of 16->32 conversions).

About the loading times: The player scans the game directory during startup to create a case-insensitive file mapping (except Windows most systems are case-sensitive). And for some reason this is super slow on Wii (bad FAT library I guess).

About the music: This is a bug in SDL (the lib we use for audio and video). Most of the music bugs got resolved in newer versions of SDL but the wii version never got an update. And it’s not really our task to do this but it seems we have to do this someday :/.

[quote=“Ghabry”]Due to a bug in our code we triggered a slow codepath which only slows down Wii (rendering in 16bit instead of 32bit is ultra slow in our code because it does lots of 16->32 conversions).

About the loading times: The player scans the game directory during startup to create a case-insensitive file mapping (except Windows most systems are case-sensitive). And for some reason this is super slow on Wii (bad FAT library I guess).

About the music: This is a bug in SDL (the lib we use for audio and video). Most of the music bugs got resolved in newer versions of SDL but the wii version never got an update. And it’s not really our task to do this but it seems we have to do this someday :/.[/quote]

Do I understand this in the right manner: wii does not any more supported from the Easy rpg Player team? Or is SDL a separate thing

SDL is a library we use which handles Video (Screen) output and Audio playback.
The overscan (rendered larger then the TV screen) is a SDL issue the broken audio is a SDL issue.
So for most issues (except slow loading times) we must patch something which is not really our fault. BUt to get the Wii port working more correctly this is one required step someday… (and we could remove tons of legacy code because Wii is the only system with an oudated SDL version ~.~)
And don’t worry, the Wii will be supported forever by us. We just lack the man-/wife-power to make it better.

Thanks for this explicitly answer. I am not a programmer, but when i can do something for this programm, let me know.

Hi, the low fps issue could (should!) be resolved by now in the latest build.
I am currently working on fixing/disabling the debug message output on Wii (742).
Good news is the overscan issue can be fixed as well, as we can pass in arbitrary variables to the Wii’s scaler(743).
Only thing needed is some value, that more or less keeps the aspect ratio and allows good displaying on most TV screens. (i.e. “normal” overscan is 6%, so we could downscale to 301x226 px and it should fit).

Mr.Faq2014, did you install a patchset for timidity on your sd? Do you get any errors?

[quote=“carstene1ns”]Hi, the low fps issue could (should!) be resolved by now in the latest build.
I am currently working on fixing/disabling the debug message output on Wii (742).
Good news is the overscan issue can be fixed as well, as we can pass in arbitrary variables to the Wii’s scaler(743).
Only thing needed is some value, that more or less keeps the aspect ratio and allows good displaying on most TV screens. (i.e. “normal” overscan is 6%, so we could downscale to 301x226 px and it should fit).
[/quote]

Sounds good. I look forward to the next build :smiley:

No, I didn’t. I just put the timidity folder where it should be. When the midi bgm is supposed to play it just doesn’t play. I mean, there aren’t any file directory errors such as when the player can’t find the corresponding files. I guess it should be a problem with the files I put then…
Btw, it’s good to read that the wii port is getting some attention :slight_smile:

[quote=“Mr.Faq2014”]
…Btw, it’s good to read that the wii port is getting some attention :)[/quote]

I think that the Wii-Port is the superior Port. Hey i can sitting on my Couch and play all the great selfmade Games. I know lots of RPG-People they think also. On Windows or Linux you can install RPG Maker mostly. On Android, you have touch. No haptik. A few years ago, enterbrain wanted to bring out a Maker/Player for XBOX. I´m so pleased about this news. I can play games from my couch like SNES. I dont know whether the program released. Thank for your Project

Klauserus: Hey, here is a test build from my pull request 751 to address both screen related issues:
f4ke.de/dev/easyrpg/easyrpg-player-wii-751.zip

Would you mind checking if it works fine for you? I scaled the image down by 5% now and the whole image is shown on my tv. Also the whole debug output on screen is gone!

[quote=“carstene1ns”]Klauserus: Hey, here is a test build from my pull request 751 to address both screen related issues:
f4ke.de/dev/easyrpg/easyrpg-player-wii-751.zip

Would you mind checking if it works fine for you? I scaled the image down by 5% now and the whole image is shown on my tv. Also the whole debug output on screen is gone![/quote]

I test it :slight_smile:

• No more Messages about debug
  • The Framerate looks smoother (5-10 FPS more i think)
  • The screen accurazi is nearly perfect. on picture 2, possibly missing 2 or 3 pixels (the blue one), on picture 1 the same (Timer)

Thank you for that good job :slight_smile: It can now play much better. What is next? Sound? :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: