Custom fonts/variable-width font support coming... when?

I understand that once upon a time in older versions of EasyRPG Player that it was possible to include custom fonts easily by dropping one into a Font folder in the game directory, or simply by reading the fonts that were built into the RPG_RT exe/Ultimate dll. At some point, that was done away with for some reason.
However, with the Maniacs patch comes the interesting prospect of using fonts of variable width instead of being limited purely to 6x12/12x12 glyphs. I know support for Maniacs patch features is extremely hit-or-miss at this point, but I’m wondering if there are plans to add variable-width font support and custom fonts in general (that don’t require building the project from scratch). If a project uses a VWF in the base game, what you end up seeing in EasyRPG Player will certainly differ and depending on how the text is written, this may cause issues (example: VWF can potentially have far more than the standard 38/50 glyphs per line).

1 Like

We plan to support custom fonts. Utilizing the freetype and harfbuzz library there was a proof-of-concept branch. However, there were certain points unclear/missing.

For example to make use of this we need to make the internal rendering double the size, otherwise you get rough borders, hinting issues and such. For maniac patch it is easy, since it can draw over the window at any size, but our rendering system does not allow this easily.

1 Like