EasyRPG Player not working on updated o3DS!

When I start EasyRPG Player.3dsx on my o3ds (just hacked last week, so up-to-date: I used Soundhax as exploit, and then latest Luma3ds with b9s) it gives me the following warning:
“This homebrew exploit does not allow you to launch applications in specific titles. Please use a different exploit.”

Do I really have to use a different exploit just to play this game? Already to previously hack the console almost gave me a nervous breakdown, let alone if I have to go through that hell again…:scream:
Isn’t there a modified version of EasyRPG Player that can work “out of the box”, without so many unnecessary problems? Can anyone give me any suggestions?

Thank you.

Since no one answered me, and I solved this issue anyway (using the .cia version) if anyone else is interested in the topic and has the same problem, they can consult this thread:

I note with regret that videos are still not supported, and bgm hiccups when the software is loading certain graphic files.
Also by turning off the bottom screen and turning it back on, the graphics become corrupted. And by going out into the 3ds home menu the bottom screen, if turned off during the game, does not reappear.
This version should still be optimized. :wink:

Testing this version with Saint Seiya Densetsu, you experience severe slowdowns and jerky graphics, so much so that it is unplayable !!!
So I tried the previous version, which they say is faster and more stable, but it immediately gives me this error:

(TL;DR at the bottom)

Since no one answered me

First of all: We are a really small dev team, in this support forum it can take a day or two for an answer, because this is a free time project, not commercial or anything.

Isn’t there a modified version of EasyRPG Player that can work “out of the box”, without so many unnecessary problems?

You start your message by blaming us we make this difficult for you, instead of simply asking what to do.
The thing is we ship a file to support older exploits (e.g.ninjahax), which is not needed with Luma3DS/B9S. So the easyrpg-player.xml file needs to be deleted from the directory for the homebrew launcher to run it (Yes, this is not documented here currently).

I note with regret that videos are still not supported, and bgm hiccups when the software is loading certain graphic files.

We do not support videos anywhere yet. And even if we did, the 3DS would likely not have the power to do the decoding for every format that a game could use. You would likely have to convert it to some lightweight format first.
About the bgm hiccups: that is caused by the weak CPU in combination with the slow filesystem access, not much we can do here. (We track this in our bugtracker already)

Also by turning off the bottom screen and turning it back on, the graphics become corrupted. And by going out into the 3ds home menu the bottom screen, if turned off during the game, does not reappear.

These are yet unknown bugs, that belong to the bugtracker, fortunately they can be easily fixed. We just need to know about them.

So I tried the previous version, which they say is faster and more stable

I briefly skipped through the thread at gbatemp and see a lot of unrelated, and partly wrong information there. The reason why you get this error is that we run out of memory. I guess the game is too big (for example a lot of pictures loaded in the start map).
Some games run better than others, also the “New 3DS” has more memory, so more games run there.

I generally recommend to not use an older version without good reason. We improve things with every version and cannot fix bugs in older builds.

TL;DR: Try the latest continuous build, delete the xml file and try another game.

Hope this helps, we are happy to get bug reports.

2 Likes

@carstene1ns sorry if I sounded rude, but I definitely didn’t mean to be. In fact, I am deeply grateful to all of you. :wink:
Thank you for your thorough response and good luck in your commendable work. :kissing_heart:

Edit: Some questions from someone who is ignorant on the subject: to remedy some severe slowdowns, couldn’t the function of Frame Skipping be added, to be used when needed?

Sometimes even with the latest version it gives me the error as from the picture above: due to lack of memory it does not load some images, and I am forced to exit the game.
Couldn’t it be made so that even if it doesn’t load some files, the game can continue as it is, with momentary graphical glitches?

Finally, the .3dsx version 0.7 is different from the .cia one: it does not have the numeric keypad underneath and you cannot enlarge the image. Otherwise it has the same slowdowns and hiccups.

Thank you for your attention.

1 Like

to remedy some severe slowdowns, couldn’t the function of Frame Skipping be added, to be used when needed?

We already do frame skipping, press the left shoulder button to see the FPS counter, when it goes under 25, you will see the frames are skipped.

Couldn’t it be made so that even if it doesn’t load some files, the game can continue as it is, with momentary graphical glitches?

Currently this is not possible, since the code does not check for such a case. This would have implications, there are a lot of places, where a bit of memory might be allocated, not just images.
Even if this would work (for images), it would mean you are no longer able to see anything in certain areas, making it impossible to advance in the game.

Finally, the .3dsx version 0.7 is different from the .cia one: it does not have the numeric keypad underneath and you cannot enlarge the image. Otherwise it has the same slowdowns and hiccups.

If it shows the debug console on the bottom screen, we might have linked a wrong build (debug build). Otherwise it should always show it. The fullscreen toggling has been moved to the settings, but they are not accessible currently. Will be likely fixed in the next version.

2 Likes