Hide Maps in folder

This is bothering me for a long time and maybe easyrpg would be a possibility to fix this.
It’s the fact, that the maps of a project are always located in the project folder and do not have their own. It doesn’t matter if it’s like 50 maps but from like a 100 and more it gets kinda anoying scrolling for the player.exe.
so maybe there would be an easy(!) way to tell the interpreter (or what so ever?) to look for the maps either in the project folder or in a subfolder called “maps”.

dunno if this is bothering anyone else, but I feel it’d be a major improvement. ^^
however it’s of course just a suggestion.

Sure, that is of course possible.
However, this would break editing the files with the Official Editor, so is not planned currently.
When working with these games you would need to move the files all the time, which is error-prone.

Okay, I see. However this would make sense in particular when packing a demo and delivering the game to others. When edititng I could of course keep the maps outside the folder and start the game with testplay anyway (so no anoying scrolling).
So it still could be an interesting option for developers.

I have to say like the idea. It looks a lot cleaner when you open up the game folder so it only shows an executable, configuration and maybe some readme file.

The proposed code change would be 3 lines patch at most and could fallback to current behaviour, so this could be added…

glad, you like it. for anyone who’s no stranger to rpg maker, they probably wouldn’t mind it too much, cause their used to it. But for someone who just wants to try a maker game and sees this:

… they might be deterred. ^^

1 Like

A separate folder for maps (and save games) would still be really nice :slight_smile:

Our game contains several hundred maps and always scrolling down to the executable might be annoying for players, especially those not familiar with RPG Maker games. Moving all resources into a single resource or data folder, like the newer RM versions do, would clean up the project folder even more.

You can nowadays package it into a single archive and Player.exe will load the game from it. Just get the game folder or game subfolders, add to zip and rename the .zip extension into .easyrpg and place it in the same directory as Player.exe and it should work.

Awesome, it works! :slight_smile:

Is there a way to tell the Player to start a specific game automatically? When I open the Player.exe, then I have to choose the game from a list. It doesn’t bother me, but it is redundant for a single game and it is not a good player experience in that case.

Hej hej!
Loading maps from a folder is another issue I have on my list for a player fork I’m currently working on. But I skipped on it for compatibility reasons, to not have the game break when someone decides to drop in an updated Player version or play the game on a different platform that has no customized version.
Is this something that would be accepted into the main branch of the Player? The implementation should prove to be quite simple.

I would be fine with a patch that looks in the root folder first and then in a “Map” subfolder (Singular for consistency with the other folders). No need for any “opt-in” flag.

1 Like