How does LMU2PNG work?

I understand that this program is more needed by developers, but can you at least provide instructions for ordinary users? And this program works with steam versions of rm2k(3)?

lmu2png is a command-line tool, using it without any argument describes it’s usage:

lmu2png
Usage: lmu2png map.lmu [options]
Options:
    -d database.ldb
    -c chipset.png
	-e encoding
    -o output.png
    --no-background
    --no-lowertiles
    --no-uppertiles
    --no-events

it will produce a .png file out of the specified mapXXXX.lmu file if no output is provided, it’ll be named like the original file, except for the file extension, which will be .png instead of .lmu.

I never tried it with a game made with the steam version of RM2000 or RM2k3 (or at least, none that I know of).

1 Like

Thank you, after your explanation, I finally understood how to work with this tool.
I take it it can’t convert all maps at once?

It “cannot”, however, it is a command-line tool, you can probably make a script to convert all maps in one go

on linux mint, doing in the command line:

for file in *.lmu; do lmu2png $file -o MAPS/$file.png;done

will create the png file for every .lmu file in the current folder being processed, name them like Map0001.lmu.png, and put them in a subfolder called MAPS (I created it beforehand).

If you are using windows, there is probably an equivalent to do this (maybe a .bat file or something).

Keep in mind to try command line stuff on a copy if possible, just to prevent a mistake ruining the files themselves (it shouldn’t happen, but I prefer to be safe rather than sorry).

1 Like

unfortunately, I am a window user and I do not know how to write .bat :")
but anyway, thanks for the help! it turned out that the program works quite well if you drag the lmu file itself onto the program and it creates a png file
to my surprise, the program is sensitive to the file path, and will not work dragging if there are non-acsii characters

1 Like