here is the first Version of the forwarder

workupload.com/file/LtYFJ8yG

Password: easyrpg
Size: 1,5 MB ca. 12 Blocks on Wii
the folder name for the .dol is “easyrpg”

• license free sound
  • animated graphics
  • test it on a PAL/German Wii
  • find Games just like boot from HBC (thx carstene1ns)

Our Branding, maybe is useful.

SVG files… Open with Inkscape e.g.

oh thats fast. thx

Finish…or not

here is the forwarder, but its is one Problem. It starts normaly, but it cant find any games. When i start it over homebrew channel everythings fine. can you help?

here is the download:
workupload.com/file/tXdvAZNH

i only test it on a german wii.

First of all: Thanks!
I guess you need to set the working directory, Player only finds games in the working directory if you do not provide a command line argument (–project-path) or set some environment variable.
Depending on the tool used, this has to be set separately.

I have created the channel with CustomizeMii . Unfortunately, I can not program . But what can I do to make it work ?

Depends on what you have done.

Did you bundle the forwarder with the player executable? This will include a static version inside the nand. It will not have the needed working directory setup.
(using Options→Browse button)

If you used the simple forwarder, this will just delegate to whatever boot.dol is inside the defined directory, i.e. the latest version. This should also setup the working directory correctly.
(using Options→Forwarder button)

I did not try to build or run it, as this is the first time i am using such tool.

Hi.

i dont click on new dol. I click on forwarder and write “easy(space)RPG”. This is the folder, i use. Nand loader is comex. Is that right or dispensable ?

So you have the player in /apps/easy RPG/ ? This location is not really recommended.
Do you get an easyrpg_log.txt?

Easy RPG, i think thats a simple folder name for it. Which is better? I check to log tomorrow and i hope made this think :slight_smile:

I made a new one. The folde name is now "EasyRPGPlayer"
I clean the log file before i start it and check it after. I see a 0 KB log.txt no entrys :frowning:

I bet the problem is that the code used to launch the application through the forwarder does not set the working directory. EasyRPG needs this because it uses this as the search path for games…

And what can we do? I believe that you change the code for working correctly?!

Instead of changing Player code to use a fixed directory, i think we should add a dedicated loader that just tries to do the right thing.™
Here is the source code for the forwarder used in WiiMC: github.com/dborth/wiimc/tree/ma … /forwarder
This would need to be adapted a bit (as it currently does also unnecessary stuff) and can then be used.

Reason why we do not want to force the directory: One should be able to have different copies of the player on the sd/usb to be launched for different games, development states,… etc etc.
If we force the working directory this would not be possible (it could be worked around, but having an own loader is better).

I am putting this on my TODO list before 0.4.1.

[quote=“carstene1ns”]Instead of changing Player code to use a fixed directory, i think we should add a dedicated loader that just tries to do the right thing.™
Here is the source code for the forwarder used in WiiMC: github.com/dborth/wiimc/tree/ma … /forwarder
This would need to be adapted a bit (as it currently does also unnecessary stuff) and can then be used.

Reason why we do not want to force the directory: One should be able to have different copies of the player on the sd/usb to be launched for different games, development states,… etc etc.
If we force the working directory this would not be possible (it could be worked around, but having an own loader is better).

I am putting this on my TODO list before 0.4.1.[/quote]

Ich schreibe kurz auf deutsch. Leider kann ich den Code von WiiMC nicht anpassen. Kann nicht programmieren. Um es zu lernen, ist das für den Anfang vielleicht doch zu heftig.
Falls Euch neben dem programmieren noch Zeit bleibt, bitte erklär mir warum das mit dem Verzeichnis nicht geht. Der Player arbeitet anders wenn ich ihm statt aus dem HBC als Forwarder starte?
liegt es am scannvorgang? Hast du die Wad mal ausprobier?

Der Player sucht nach spielen im sogenannten “Arbeitsverzeichnis”. Dieses Verzeichnis wird von dem Programm festgelegt, dass den Player ausführt (das funktioniert auf allen System gleich, wenn du unter Windows ne Anwendung doppelklickst ist das Verzeichnis wo die exe ist das Arbeitsverzeichnis). Und der Homebrew Channel setzt halt das Arbeitsverzeichnis auf den Ordner wo das .dol drinnen ist. Dieser Forwarder macht das nicht und daher geht das nicht.
Und fest einstellen können wir das nicht, weil manche halt das Programm anders nutzen (z.B. eine dol pro Spiel) und das geht dann nicht mehr.
Daher ist das nen Problem mit dem Forwarder, den müsste man anpassen. K.A. ob einer unserer Entwickler so nett ist und das nebenbei mal macht.
Es gibt Pläne die Suchordner für Spiele konfigurierbar zu machen, aber da gibt’s noch andere Probleme auf unserer ToDo-Liste die wir umsetzen müssen, damit das umsetzbar ist.

English in short:
The problem is the working directory. This is the directory where EasyRPG begins the scanning. When launched from the HBC the workind directory is set to the .dol but the forwarder doesn’t do this. And we can’t ahrdcode it because this will break placing .dols in different folders.

Big thanks for that explicitly answer. Now i understand how it work. It sounds the project need more programmer, because it is really heavy work. It is so sorrowful, i like to help you but i cant program a think.

Hey Klauserus, just a short notify that I have started to work on the forwarder/chainloader:
f4ke.de/dev/easyrpg/wii-forwarder-alpha.zip
It is in early development state, but should already work for most cases, however there may be graphical glitches.
Can you try embedding it in your wad? It will load sd:/apps/easyrpg/boot.dol and then usb:/apps/easyrpg/boot.dol, if it is not available on SD.

[quote=“carstene1ns”]Hey Klauserus, just a short notify that I have started to work on the forwarder/chainloader:
f4ke.de/dev/easyrpg/wii-forwarder-alpha.zip
It is in early development state, but should already work for most cases, however there may be graphical glitches.
Can you try embedding it in your wad? It will load sd:/apps/easyrpg/boot.dol and then usb:/apps/easyrpg/boot.dol, if it is not available on SD.[/quote]

hi. very cool. Today i am very busy. i can test it tuesday or wednesday.

Hi

I test it. Awsome! Thanks.
Ok here the facts:

i but your boot.dol into the forwarder.wad and the #431 build into the sd:/apps/easyrpg/. It starts, 1 second Loading Screen with Logo, very very shortly debug-screen und load. Nice.
Duesterburg plays normaly, but vampires dawn have a black screen with soundbugs, but this is a #431 build issue not from the loader.

I but the forwarder into a new zip file and edit my post. Next days i search a new sound and working on more graphics.

Whoop Whoop. i am so glad XD XD XD