Publishing on Steam

Hey there, my friend (who is making an excellent RPG Maker 2003 game named Superstar Hero) is publishing his game on Steam, and we’d love to get some MacOS and Linux support. (He’s asking me because he don’t have MacOS nor Linux and I’m knowledgable enough on these two OSes, if you’re wondering.) We’ve already established it works well on EasyRPG, no RTP needed (let’s add it on the Compatibility List?), but I wonder if the engine will cope well with Steam? Is there some special steps?

Legally, I have no doubt it’ll work, but correct me if I’m wrong, the GPL allows commercial use, we’ll just need to give credit to EasyRPG, publish the sources if we ever modify it and I don’t think it’s going to apply to the game itself if we distribute the engine with it.

Hello,
publishing on Steam is no problem. Using of RTP assets will probably violate the license of these files but you don’t use them so it’s no problem.

If you have any specific questions you can also ask our friends from Netherware Entertainment, they already released a game using EasyRPG Player: Save 70% on Desolate City: The Bloody Dawn Enhanced Edition on Steam (even supports Steam achievements through Steamshim)

Yepp, that’s exactly how the license works. It only applies to the engine itself, your game files and assets are unaffected.

We are looking forward to the annoucement when you publish it :slight_smile:

Thank you! I’ll keep you guys updated :slight_smile:

Here’s the page on Steam, by the way: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1089080/Superstar_Hero/