Two compatibility questions about the Wii version

Hello everybody,

as the thread title says, I have a couple questions about using the Wii version of the player.

The first one is about the RTP library. I know you guys are in the process of making (https://easy-rpg.org/rtp-replacement.html)]a replacement for it, but in the meantime, where I am I supposed to place these resources so that the player can find them?

Like say, I tried to run a game yesterday and I kept being interrupted by the notification that the rain sound effect couldn’t be found. Where should I store said sound effect so that it is found? In what directory?

The other question I expect to have answered with a simple “No”, but I figure there’s no harm in asking so I know for sure:
is there any way for this player to run games made in RPG Tkool XP (a.k.a. RPG Tsukūru XP I believe)?
I tried putting one in the same folder as Easy RPG’s boot elf, but I was told no database could be found.

The RTP contains some general resources that are used by some games.

Because of copyright issues we won’t provide download links. You have to search the internet for them.

For the Wii the files are expected in “/data/rtp/2000/” and “/data/rtp/2003/” (there are different RTP for RPG2k and 2k3)

And I recommend using the “EasyRPG Player continuous builds” at the bottom of the download page.

XP: No.

Hello Duke,

Further RTP information: easy-rpg.org/wiki/user/player/rtp
WARNING: According with the RTP license, official RTP files can be used only with the original RPG Maker interpreter. Check your country’s law before trying at home.

RPGXP interpreter project: github.com/Ancurio/mkxp

Cheers.

Yeah I know, that’s no problem.

Alright, thanks!
I’m assuming the starting directory in which to place those is the one containing EasyRPG and not the SD card’s root directory.

Cool! Is this something that can be used with EasyRPG? The Wii version, specifically?

Too bad it still lacks midi support, but all in due time I guess.

No, the paths begin with a leading “/”. Is the SD card’s root directory.

[quote=“Duke Serkol”]

Cool! Is this something that can be used with EasyRPG? The Wii version, specifically?

Too bad it still lacks midi support, but all in due time I guess.[/quote]
No. :wink:

Alright, that solved the RTP issue.
I still get a error message concerning the game’s own music:
“Couldn’t load Fant24 bgm.
usb:/data/timidity/timidity.cfg: Funct
ion not implemented”

Not sure what is up with that. Fant24.mid is in the music folder (within EasyRPG’s directory) same as where it would be placed when playing on a PC…

Cool! Is this something that can be used with EasyRPG? The Wii version, specifically?[/quote]No. ;)[/quote]
Haha, I see, not quite as cool then.

Oh right.
You also need the timidity sound font:
libsdl.org/projects/SDL_mixe … ity.tar.gz

Extract the timidity folder to /data/.

This was documented somewhere but I’m not sure where o_O

Well now that’s just plain weird… I’m not getting any error messages anymore, but the midi is still not playing.

Clearly it’s too shy to be easily found :wink:

Sorry for the double post, but I just need to check if the following is normal.

I tried out a different game, Ib, and with this one the music does play, so I’m guessing the problem was that the other game used midi music and that must not be supported yet.

However, I was now able to notice that both music and sound effects play at a much slower speed than they should.
Is this normal or do I need to change some settings to fix the speed?

The Wii SDL/SDL_mixer port does not contain conversion for music at different rates than the dsp supports (32khz/48khz). See also:
github.com/EasyRPG/Player/issues/116
wiibrew.org/wiki/Talk:SDL_Wii#SD … _very_slow

Midi music is supported, you need to setup timidity. See also:
easy-rpg.org/blog/2012/09/windo … tly-build/
f4ke.de/dev/easyrpg/wii_folder_structure.html

Mh… the link to the nightly build you provided and Ghabry’s link have two different versions of timidity (the content of the compressed archive differs) and neitehr seems to have the files listed in that directory tree.

I’ve tried putting the files I had in both data/timidity and etc/timidity but it made no difference.

As for the slower music, I tried converting it to 48khz but it didn’t help, and my converter does not have 32khz as an option. Could you suggest one that does?

Try with Audacity for 32000 Hz conversion

Sorry, that was my fault, I did not look thoroughly at that blog post. It was only a reference where to put the timidity patch set.
However, it is quite old and refernces for example the font installation that is not needed anymore.
Timidity, the midi player used by sdl_mixer, needs a patchset to function.
Here is one: libsdl.org/projects/SDL_mixer/ timidity.tar.gz, 14mb (small)
Freepats is also ommon: freepats.zenvoid.org/ 25mb (middleweight, thats the one I use)
I do not know where the one hosted by Rikku2000 comes from (referenced in the blog post, very small), but that comes with no config file and will likely not work.

That worked, thanks!

[quote=“carstene1ns”]Timidity, the midi player used by sdl_mixer, needs a patchset to function.
Here is one: libsdl.org/projects/SDL_mixer/ timidity.tar.gz, 14mb (small)
Freepats is also ommon: freepats.zenvoid.org/ 25mb (middleweight, thats the one I use)[/quote]
The 14mb timidity.tar.gz seems to be the same one I was directed to by Ghabry. I downloaded it anyway and extracted it both under etc and again under data just to be sure, along with the 25mb freepats… still no result :frowning:

If it’s any help, for reference, this is the game I’m trying it with:
rpgmaker.net/games/5539/
as you can see, I’m one of the playtesters and thought it’d be fun to do one of my runs on a different system (with a much bigger screen).